Q. How do I place a hold or recall on a book that is checked out (out on loan)?

Answered By: Kathryn Ray
Last Updated: Mar 09, 2023     Views: 227

A hold will be placed automatically when faculty request books to be placed on course reserves through Canvas. The borrower will be asked to return the book immediately.

Current AU students and faculty who need AU books for their research have two choices if the AU book is checked out:

1. Consult the library catalog. If a consortium library has the book on the shelf, place a 'Consortium loan request' via the link in the catalog record. The book will be sent to the Circulation and Course Reserves desk on the first floor of the library for you to pick up. You will receive email notification when the book arrives. Washington Research Libraries Consortium (WRLC) CLS is the fastest way to get the book.

2. Place an Interlibrary Loan (ILL) request through the link in the catalog record or submit a manual request. ILL service borrows books from outside of the WRLC.  Be advised that ILL requests can take two weeks or longer to fill.

If you would like further assistance, please Ask-A-Librarian.



Related Topics